What I've been up to ...


October 13, 2014

I took a break from writing while our three children were on summer break from school.  We love to travel and, thankfully, my husband can handle driving long distances for days on end.  He took three weeks off from work and we drove from northern Alberta down to southern California (and Disneyland of course!), visiting family along the way. We've made a lot of these road trips and, let me tell you, I 15 can get mighty boring if you drive the length of it enough times!  This time we took a new route, heading west and then down the coastal highway.  It was a slow go, but well worth it.

One of the highlights was spending a couple of days at Crescent City, California. We were amazed at how economical it was to get a beach side hotel room with a balcony facing the ocean.  What a peaceful place that little city was!  Usually on these trips, I can only handle being in one place for a few days before I am ready to move on, but I didn't want to leave that place!  It was so friendly and, though bustling with tourists, still had a small town feel.  It was rather chilly, so we didn't spend much time in the water until we got further south, but just listening to the waves crashing against the rocky shoreline had a calming effect all its own.  We toured the Redwood Forest, which is something we've wanted to do for years. To say that those majestic trees are impressive would be the understatement of the century, and it seemed that everyone else walking those trails felt the same way.  Everyone that we encountered was very friendly, to the point of it almost feeling surreal.  Needless to say, we had a wonderful trip.

The school year has been back in session for a few weeks now, and we've all settled into a routine.  I'm homeschooling our 9th grade son this year, so time for writing is limited, but I still manage to squeeze it in.  The third book in the Souls of Indenture series is starting to take shape, and I look forward to its completion.

I hope all is well with you and yours.  Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!