Capturing the Moment


November 7, 2014



Every once in a while I like to saunter about on our property and capture scenes of beauty when something stands out to me.  Here are a few of the photos that I have taken over the years, right here in our yard and pasture. The last four were taken off our property, along the dirt road we live on.  I hope you enjoy them, and that you are able to slow down enough each day to take a few minutes to appreciate your surroundings.  What a gorgeous and fascinating world we live in!







Even though we live in Canada, everyone in our household is also a US citizen, and we are a very patriotic family.  We take our roots very seriously, and so we celebrate the 4th of July every year.  I'm not much of a decorator, but I thought this old stagecoach and trunk made such a cool background for Old Glory.








It's funny how sometimes frost can be so beautiful when it clings to everything it possibly can.  Plus, I'm a fanatic for old wagon wheels, frost-covered or not.







I have a hunch that my old horse isn't going to starve any time soon!







Usually in the wintertime our air is rather dry. When it is humid and cold we often get this gorgeous hoar frost clinging to fences and to every branch and blade of grass.  It is truly breathtaking, and not just because the frigid temperatures frost my lungs while my numb fingers snap the photo.  Hoar frost is about the only thing I like about winter, except for the Northern Lights, but I'm always too busy staring up at the night sky in awe to think of trying to take a picture when they are out.









Here's a closeup of what the hoar frost looks like.  It's truly amazing.






One of our neighbors races sled dogs, and we sometimes see them out training.  The trail on which they exercise the dogs exits a cut line and crosses our dead end road here, so the "Caution Please - Dog Team Crossing" sign is for real.  In the summertime the dogs pull a quad and in the winter, of course, their training involves pulling a dog sled.  The matriarch of this family was my kindergarten teacher, once upon a time.





There was a forest fire nearby, back in 2010.  Our property is on the left in the foreground, so you can see how close the fire was, just behind that little range of hills in the distance.  Even though it was a little nerve-wracking, I thought it was pretty enough to warrant taking a picture.











This one shows the incredible effect that was produced when hoar frost clung to bits of horse hair that had gotten snagged on our neighbor's barbed wire fence.  How cool is that?!






Here is some more hoar frost.  I couldn't capture it adequately, but the lighting was so interesting.